Sarah Thune began her piano studies at the age of 7. She has studied under pianists Daniel Horn, Nicholas Roth, and Fred Karpoff and has played in masterclasses for notable concert pianists and pedagogues such as Leon Fleisher, Vadym Kholodenko, and Nelita True. An active chamber musician, Ms. Thune has participated in workshops with the Chiara and Miro String Quartets and at the Zodiac Music Festival and Academy in Valdeblore, France. Along with chamber collaborations at Arizona State University, the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, and Chandler-Gilbert Community College, she has also been featured in chamber music concert series hosted by the Civic Music Association of Des Moines, Iowa, Civic Morning Musicals in Syracuse, New York, and the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, Arizona. As winner of the Drake University Concerto Competition, she performed Mozart’s Concerto in D Minor, K. 466 with the Drake University Symphony Orchestra. Ms. Thune holds degrees from Drake University (B.M. Piano Performance) and Syracuse University (M.M. Piano Performance), where she was the first pianist at the Setnor School of Music to be awarded the prestigious title of University Fellow. She is currently based in Phoenix, Arizona as a freelance performer, collaborator, and teacher.
M.M., Piano Performance 2014-16
B.M., Piano Performance 2011-14
WHEATON COLLEGE (IL)
B.M., Piano Performance 2009-10
DES MOINES CHRISTIAN SCHOOL, Des Moines, IA
CENTRAL ACADEMY, Des Moines, IA 2009
Accompanist, School of Ballet Arizona (2016-present)
- Year-round accompanist for various beginner-intermediate ballet classes.
Music Teacher, Paradise Valley Christian Preparatory (2016-present)
- Part-time general music teacher for pre-k through 4th grade.
Graduate Assistant, Syracuse University (2015-16)
- Instructor for PNO 221 & 222 (piano proficiency courses for music majors).
- TA and collaborative pianist for Advanced Vocal Literature.
- Collaborative pianist for 4 vocal degree recitals, 2 cello degree recitals, 1 violin degree recital, and 1 trumpet degree recitals
- Weekly lesson and semester jury accompanist for 11 vocal students.
- Keyboard area assistant for weekly student convocation.
University Fellow, Syracuse University (2014-15)
- Collaborative pianist for 2 vocal degree recitals and 1 cello degree recital.
- Weekly lesson and semester jury accompanist for 13 vocal students.
Collaborative pianist for the Syracuse Opera Aria Society (2015)
- Performed in private house concerts.
Full-time organist for St. Daniel’s Parish in Syracuse, NY (January 2015-April 2015)
- Organist for all Saturday and Sunday masses.
- Accompanist for weekly choir rehearsals.
Private Lesson Instructor (2009-present)
- Taught weekly private lessons to 15+ students in the Des Moines, IA and Syracuse, NY areas.
- Chamber recital at Cincinnati Conservatory of Music (April 2016)
- Chamber recital at Arizona State University (April 2015)
- Pre-concert lecture and performance for the Goldstein-Peled-Fiterstein Trio as presented by the Civic Music Association of Des Moines, IA (March 2014)
- Multiple concerts through Drake University’s Keys to Excellence Program (2012-14)
- American Liszt Society – Iowa Chapter’s Bicentennial Celebration of Wagner and Verdi (2013)
- Performance at Des Moines Civic Center on the Horowitz Piano as presented by Drake University/The Horowitz Piano Tour (2013)
- Pianist for Drake University Wind Symphony’s “Distant Celebrations” album (Mark Records, 2015)
Honors and Awards
- Teaching Assistantship, Syracuse University (2015)
- University Fellow, Syracuse University (2014)
- Edith Keeley Stokely Music Scholarship, Drake University (2013)
- Winifred M. Kelley Scholarship, Drake University (2013)
- Paul Stoye Prize for Outstanding Piano Performance, Drake University (2013)
- Winner of the Drake University Concerto Competition (2013)
- Selected Performer, Drake University Honors Recital (2012-13)